With his much anticipated new release "The Silver City" centered around the sights, sounds, and atmosphere of Minneapolis and St. Paul, local singer/songwriter Jeremy Messersmith has the power to make you feel right at home.
After a lauded debut with "Alcatraz Kid," Jeremy Messersmith started working with Dan Wilson, who produced the new album.
Songs performed: "Miracles," "Skyway," (a Replacements cover) and "Franklin Avenue."
- Jeremy Messersmith
- Jeremy Messersmith Creates Dark Lyrics and Sweet Melodies Minneapolis singer-songwriter Jeremy Messersmith claims to be a hermit. Indeed, he's probably not exaggerating; although he moved to Minnesota in 1999, he only made it to the 7th Street Entry for the first time in 2007.
- Songs from Scratch Vol. 2: What's it all about? Minnesota Public Radio is launching Songs from Scratch Vol. 2, a project that explores the creative process and gives you a chance to participate.
- Meet the lyricist The source of musical inspiration is a subject we're exploring in a new edition of our Songs from Scratch project. We asked songwriter Adam Levy to compose some lyrics, and asked three musicians to create a song using them. Meet Adam Levy of the Honeydogs.
- The musicians get the lyrics Our project looks at the creative process of writing music, through the eyes of three musicians and a lyricist. We hear from the three bands -- Best Friends Forever, Jeremy Messersmith and rapper P.O.S. -- as they get the lyrics from Adam Levy, and begin shaping their songs.
- The songwriting begins in earnest We check in with our three bands as they try to turn the words into songs.
- The musicians record their songs Our three musicians have had two weeks to create a song using Adam Levy's lyrics as a starting point, and "The Wizard of Oz" as their inspiration. We check in as they finish up their songs.
- What does Adam Levy think of the songs? At the end of the Songs from Scratch process, songwriter Adam Levy listened to what our three musicians created and offered up his reflections on the project.
- The New Standards Holiday Special The New Standards triumphantly returned to the Fitzgerald Theater for their second annual holiday concert on Saturday, December 8. The trio -- John Munson (Semisonic and Trip Shakespeare), Chan Poling (The Suburbs) and Steve Roehm (Electropolis) -- was joined by an all-star guest list including Haley Bonar, Mike Doughty, Dan Wilson, Matt Wilson, Adam Levy, Jelloslave, Maddie Poling, Laurie Lindeen, JoAnna James, Jeremy Messersmith and Tim Frantzich. True to the New Standards, the show was a mix of holiday classics and unexpected takes on recent favorites.