Minneapolis' Dan Wilson is experimenting with touring "staycation" style. He's playing a string of dates in the Twin Cities under the philosophy of "low milage, small rooms, one guy." The idea for setting up a tour of several small, intimate shows came after hanging out at the 318 Cafe in Excelsior, MN. with his family.
The five dates begin at the Bryant Lake Bowl in Uptown and move to the 318 Cafe in Excelsior and onto the Acadia Cafe on the West Bank of the University of Minnesota and end with two nights at the Dakota Jazz Club in downtown Minneapolis. Wilson sat down with Jim McGuinn to chat about the tour, songwriting, and the possibilities of a new album.
Songs performed: "FNT," "Your Brighter Days," and "Hand On My Heart."
- Dan Wilson
- Dan Wilson performs in The Current studios Minneapolis' Dan Wilson has been known as many things: frontman in Semisonic and guitarist in Trip Shakespeare, Grammy Award winner for writing The Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready To Make Nice," and producer for two of Mike Doughty's albums. He's also worked with musicians like Rachael Yamagata, Mandy Moore, Jeremy Messersmith, and Jason Mraz. In 2007, Dan Wilson released a solo album, "Free Life" on Rick Rubin's American Recordings. With all of that on his musical resume, he still calls the Twin Cities home.
- The Morning Show Live at Minnesota State Fair The Morning Show broadcast live from the Minnesota State Fair with special guests Ann Reed, Dan Wilson, Pert' Near Sandstone, and the annual "Where's Eric" game.
- The New Standards Holiday Special The New Standards triumphantly returned to the Fitzgerald Theater for their second annual holiday concert on Saturday, December 8. The trio -- John Munson (Semisonic and Trip Shakespeare), Chan Poling (The Suburbs) and Steve Roehm (Electropolis) -- was joined by an all-star guest list including Haley Bonar, Mike Doughty, Dan Wilson, Matt Wilson, Adam Levy, Jelloslave, Maddie Poling, Laurie Lindeen, JoAnna James, Jeremy Messersmith and Tim Frantzich. True to the New Standards, the show was a mix of holiday classics and unexpected takes on recent favorites.
- Dan Wilson enjoys his 'Free Life' in Minnesota Minneapolis music veteran Dan Wilson, of Trip Shakespeare and Semisonic, has just released his first solo album. MPR's Cathy Wurzer talked with him about the new album and the song-writing process with collaborators like The Dixie Chicks and Sheryl Crow.
- Dan Wilson performs in The Current studios In 2007 Dan Wilson received a Grammy Award for Song of the Year for writing the Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready to Make Nice". Maybe 2008 will bring Dan the same fortune for his debut solo CD "Free Life".
- Local songwriter Minnesota musician Dan Wilson co-wrote the Dixie Chicks' Song of the Year, "Not Ready to Make Nice," and won a Grammy for the effort.