Elizabeth Grant — better known as her stage name Lana Del Rey — is having a good year. Her sophomore album, Born to Die, spent the majority of 2012 on the Billboard 200 rankings and has sold almost 3 million copies, making it one of the best-selling albums of the year. She also performed on Saturday Night Live in January. (And in The Current studio in March!)
Even as 2012 winds down, Lana Del Rey shows no signs of doing the same. This week, she is releasing her third EP, Paradise — available as a standalone product or as part of a two-disc reissue of Born to Die. A European tour has already been booked for next year, but before the rising star could return to her whirlwind life, she stopped by The Current studio to hijack the airwaves and play a few of her favorite songs.
1. Lana Del Rey — "Ride"
2. Frank Sinatra — "It Was A Very Good Year"
3. The Flamingos — "I Only Have Eyes For You"
4. Angelo Badalamenti — "Laura Palmer's Love Theme"
5. Jeff Buckley — "Dream Brother"
6. Bruce Springsteen — "I'm On Fire"
7. The Doors — "Break on Through"
8. Lana Del Rey — "Cola"
Lana Del Rey — "Ride"
Frank Sinatra — "It Was A Very Good Year"
The Flamingos — "I Only Have Eyes For You"
Angelo Badalamenti — "Laura Palmer's Love Theme"
Jeff Buckley — "Dream Brother"
Bruce Springsteen — "I'm On Fire"
The Doors — "Break on Through"
Lana Del Rey — "Cola"
- Lana Del Rey
- Lana Del Rey performs in The Current studio Lizzy Grant's Lana Del Rey persona may be new to the broader world, but she's been singing for years and even released an album prior to 2012's already controversial "Born To Die." With her quick rise-to-fame came stringent criticism, throngs of battling publications looking for their next angle, and a warring music community.