I want people to know that like not only is he [Prince] this incredible, this consummate artist and musician but he takes the time out to talk to the next generation of artists.
Before her incredible live performance at the new Skyway Theater, we were fortunate enough to have Janelle Monae stop by The Current studios. Listen to the interview to hear her chat with Mark Wheat about living in the Twin Cities as a child, her collaboration with Prince and the secret to the live presentation of her unfinished seven part anthology.
- Janelle Monae
- Janelle Monae's official website
- Buy 'The Electric Lady' at iTunes
- Buy 'The Electric Lady' at Amazon
- Album Review: Janelle Monae, 'The Electric Lady' You can keep Janelle Monae's cerebral, abstract inspiration for her art in the back of your head while enjoying The Electric Lady, but don't let the songs get lost in it.
- 'Electric Lady' Janelle Monae On Creating The Unheard nelle Monae's music is often called futuristic. That's partly due to her subject matter: Her breakthrough releases, the 2007 EP 'Metropolis' and the 2010 album 'The ArchAndroid,' form a connected story arc about a robot who falls in love with a human. But moreover, the work of the 27-year-old singer is difficult to classify -- rooted in R&B but pulling from too many different genres to count.
- Album Review: Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid The most ambitious and challenging album of the summer might end up being the sophomore release from the little known pop sensation Janelle Monae. She's far from being a household name but has spent the past seven years building the support of artists like Big Boi, Saul Williams and Sean "Diddy" Combs.
- Janelle Monae performs live in The Current studio Mixing every genre imaginable, from soul to full-fledged hip-hop and dream-pop to funk, Janelle Monae has become a modern day musical prodigy.
comments powered by Disqus