Temps in Minnesota on Monday will reach 20 below in the Twin Cities and as cold as 50 below up north. Governor Dayton has taken the rare step to declare all Minnesota schools closed for Monday. But at the Current we've declared it Super Cold Monday! It's like Super Bowl Sunday, but about 100 degrees cooler.
Tune in to the Morning Show at 9:30 for the Iced Coffee Break. Listen to Barb Abney as she plays hot funk and soul from 11 a.m. to noon, and go crawling Under the Covers for a full hour of remakes at 1 p.m.
Mary Lucia will put together a playlist of the ultimate Summer Jams for your drive home at 5. And Mark Wheat will spin an hour of "Music from Hot Places" at 7 p.m.
If you're stuck at your home, check out these superfun activities:
Fun with paper
- Super Cold Monday: Word Find Find the names of the artists who had the top ten songs in the Top 89 of 2013.
- Draw yourself and three of your friends in the style of
Julian Opie's artwork for the 2000 compilation album,
Blur: The Best Of. We'll get you started with the inspiration and the grid in this PDF.
- Go loco with our logo color it in wacky ways!
- Have fun with these David Bowie Paper Dolls, courtesy our friends at the CBC. (Alternate download link here). Fun fact: Bowie turns 67 years old on Wednesday!
- Also from our CBC friends, build your own Arcade Fire paper dolls!
- Print out these face shapes (set 1, set 2) and use them to draw a picture of your favorite rock band or artist and Tweet it to us at @TheCurrent using #supercoldmonday
- Print out and color any (or all) of these popular musicians:
Mick Jagger, Kanye West, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, George Harrison, Lady Gaga, Loretta Lynn, Beyonce, Gladys Knight
- They Might Be Giants' Paper Monster Truck Hearse!
Fun with video
- Watch Astronautalis throw a pot of boiling water into the cold air — and read other Minnesota musicians' reactions to the cold
- Sit back and watch a playlist of The Current's Best Session Videos of 2013
- Record a "pet sounds" video of your pet staying indoors and send it to us on Twitter using #supercold
- Watch an outstanding music documentary (all videos on Netflix, unless indicated otherwise):
- Upside Down: The Creation Records Story
- Shut up and Play the Hits (LCD Soundsystem)
- Pearl Jam: 20
- Charles Bradley: The Soul of America
- A Band Called Death
- Who is Harry Nilsson?
- Fela Kuti: Music is the Weapon
- Ain't In It For My Health: A film about Levon Helm
- Thunder Soul
- Synth Britannia (Vimeo)
Fun with the cold
- The beauty of Frozen Bubbles
- What happens to boiling water when it meets cold air?
- Water gun filled with boiling water
We have absolutely no power or control over the weather, but by rocking together, maybe we can generate enough warmth to laugh at the oppressive temperature.
It's Super Cold Monday only from 89.3 The Current.
Add your #SuperColdMonday suggestions or inspirations in the comments below!
- What bands would you rename for cold weather? Recently, Mary Lucia and others referred to the weather forecast using the altered band name 'Uncle Two Below.' As the extreme cold settles in, what bands would YOU rename to work with this weather? Tweet us your suggestions using #coldbands.
- Paul Huttner's Updraft blog (MPR News)
comments powered by Disqus