Listen Feature audio
Mar 21, 2014 Listen to all 5 tracks:
Forum Session with Jeremy Messersmith
Jeremy Messersmith: 'Tourniquet' in The Forum
Jeremy Messersmith: 'Ghost' in The Forum
Jeremy Messersmith: 'Heidi' in The Forum
Jeremy Messersmith: 'It's Only Dancing' in The Forum
Steve Seel asked Jeremy Messersmith what it's like being signed to label Glassnote Records.
"It's interesting but weird," Messersmith says. "You show up in a town [to play a show] and half the work is already done for you."
Being signed to the New York-based label (whose roster includes Phoenix and Mumford & Sons) has clearly propelled Messersmith into a higher echelon of music, but he remains just as approachable and locally grounded as ever even if he no longer has to put up his own posters or do his own publicity ahead of shows.
Just before packing up their van to drive to the South By Southwest Music Conference in Austin, Texas, Messersmith and his bandmates drummer Andy Thompson, keyboardist Sarah Perbix, lead guitarist Peter Sieve and bassist Ian Allison played an exclusive show in The Forum at Minnesota Public Radio and chatted with The Current Morning Show's Steve Seel.
In addition to talking about his alignment with Glassnote, Messersmith talked about his recent tour in the U.K., his disinclination to watching his own music videos and a recent incident in which he and guitarist Peter Sieve got bibbed at a landmark chili restaurant in Cincinnati.
"It's Only Dancing"
All tracks off the album, Heart Murmurs, out now on Glassnote Records.
Hosted by Steve Seel
Produced by Jade
Engineered by Michael DeMark, Maury Jensen and Andrew Danielsson.
- The Current's Guitar Collection: Jeremy Messersmith Jeremy Messersmith and his band stopped by The Current to play an in-studio set in MPR's Forum, hosted by Steve Seel. Just before they packed up the van for their trek to SXSW in Austin, Texas, Jeremy took some time to talk to us about his guitars.
- Chart Show: Don't Say Goodbye to SXSW, Just Jeremy remains on top making it 3 weeks in total for "Ghost." He was anything but a ghost for SXSW, getting good reviews and joining us for Public Radio Rocks!
- Public Radio Rocks: SXSW audio and video As the overwhelmingly popular South by Southwest music festival in Austin, TX draws to a close, we wanted to share videos of our public radio day stage from the Austin Convention Center on March 14.
- Jeremy Messersmith: March's Artist of the Month Imagine growing up without rock and roll in your house. It would seem unlikely that you'd end up becoming our state's preeminent songwriter of the past decade - unless you're Jeremy Messersmith.
- Album Review: Jeremy Messersmith, 'Heart Murmurs' Jeremy Messersmith's new album expands on the sound of his previous work, with more propulsion in the drums, more deft deployment of strings, more muscle in the guitars and more great songs from Minnesota's current (and Current) favorite son.
comments powered by Disqus