In honor of the 30th anniversary of Purple Rain, Jim McGuinn (filling in for Jacquie Fuller) hosts an entire Teenage Kicks of songs used in movies with cuts from films like Pump Up the Volume, Empire Records, Breakfast Club, Singles, Trainspotting and many more.
Check out these trailers and clips:
Note: Language advisory:
What music have you discovered from movies? Share your picks in the comments below.
- Remembering the artist formerly known as 'Purple Pain' 30 years later Today's Morning Edition music is from Prince, with "Baby I'm a Star" from the film "Purple Rain," which opened in theaters 30 years ago today. It was filmed in and around Minneapolis, with many scenes at the First Avenue nightclub -- where some of the bartenders called Prince "Purple Pain."
- First Avenue retrospective: Prince's 'Purple Rain' film turns 30 The Daily Circuit's Tom Weber and Andrea Swensson of The Current curated a retrospective from First Avenue, where much of the movie was filmed.
- Bobby Z says 'Purple Rain' was 'what you live for' At Morning Edition music, we're marking the 30 years since the release 'Purple Rain," by Prince. In a new article on the website for our sister station The Current, Bobby Z, who played drums for Prince on the album, had some serious praise for the song "Purple Rain." "It's just one of those moments, as a band, that you live for.... when you hear those opening chords of Purple Rain, you just stop time some how, and just listen."
- 30 years later, why you should care about 'Purple Rain' Wednesday marks the 30th anniversary of the release of "Purple Rain," Prince's iconic album and movie.
- 9:30 Coffee Break: Movie Moments Part 2 Yesterday's Coffee Break was such a hit we're keeping it going. We want to know what songs you connect to specific movie moments. Give us your suggestions for today's 9:30 Coffee Break.
- Tonal Recall: 90's Movie Sountrack Edition After some recent discussion on Twitter, it seems that it is high time for another soundtrack episode of Tonal Recall! This time, let's put the focus on movies from the 90s. A bad movie doesn't necessarily mean a bad soundtrack! We've already received requests from the movies pictured above, but we want to play your request, as well.
comments powered by Disqus