IndiaFest — Experience India in a Day!
Celebrate the 75th Anniversary of India Independence
Saturday, August 13, 11 a.m. – 9 p.m., Minnesota State Capitol Grounds
IndiaFest is a celebration of India’s rich culture, heritage, traditions and diversity, and it returns in-person for 2022, bigger and better than ever, on Saturday, August 13, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on the Minnesota State Capitol grounds, 75 Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. St. Paul, Minn. Presented by India Association of Minnesota (IAM), this FREE event is open to all, with highlights including a parade from 1 – 2 p.m., kids and family activities, delectable Indian food and the best in music, dance, shopping and more!
Festival attendees can Experience India in a Day to learn about India’s history and culture. See colorful Indian sarees and turbans. Experience foot-tapping live Bollywood music, see exhibits and cultural displays, try henna, play chess or cricket and shop at the Indian Bazaar. EnjoyMinnesota-based, internationally acclaimed Asian Indian dance and theater groups including Katha Dance Theatre, Natyakala Dance School, Nritya Kalakshetra Academy of Performing Arts.
Minnesota’s spacious State Capitol lawn will also be set up with delectable Indian cuisine from local restaurants including Bawarchi, Hyderabad House, Hyderabad Indian Grill, plus many more.
Date: Saturday, August 13
Time: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Venue: Minnesota State Capitol Grounds, St. Paul
Highlights of the Festival
1. Admission is FREE!
2. Parade: 1 – 2 p.m. Experience a procession showcasing the regional diversity of India with remarks by visiting local and international dignitaries.
3. Food: Sample delicious cuisine from popular Twin Cities Indian restaurants including Bawarchi, Hyderabad House, Hyderabad Indian Grill, plus many more.
4. Performances & Culture: Enjoy some of the most popular-based Minnesota Indian dance and theater groups including Katha Dance Theatre, Natyakala Dance School, and Nritya Kalakshetra Academy of Performing Arts. Immerse yourself in colorful classical, semi-classical, Bollywood music and dance styles.
5. Exhibits: Visit booths to learn about the culture, traditions and to browse decorations from various regions of India.
6. Fun for Kids and Families: Get your face painted, jump in the bounce house, see the amazing Chicks on Sticks.
7. Fun for Adults: Try special henna or nail painting, play chess with a professional, check out the Indian game of Carrom or learn some skills in yoga and meditation
8. Bazaar: Shop for the best in traditional Indian clothing, jewelry and accessories.
9. Raffle Drawing: Give-aways from local Minnesota-area retailers.
10. Student Achievement Awards: Five awards recognizing high school students will be given during IndiaFest.
India Association of Minnesota (IAM), established in 1973, is a non-profit organization, chartered to build strong and cohesive community of Asian Indians. For more information visit iamn.org. or call (651) 321-3421
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board and the Metropolitan Regional Arts Council thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.
This work is funded in part by the Minnesota Humanities Center with money from the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund that was created with the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008.
Sponsors include: Abbott, Andersen Windows, Be the Match, Blue Cross Blue Shield Minnesota, Marriott Minneapolis City Center and JW Marriott Minneapolis Mall of America, and the Minnesota Twins.