Minneapolis singer-songwriter Jeremy Messersmith sings sweet, timeless songs about love, desire, death and grief — not, it would seem, the stuff of grandiose artistic ambition. And yet Messersmith stands out by trying harder, doing more and always reaching farther than it seems. This is a guy who, whenever possible, tours with an eight-piece band that includes a string section, and who once released a tremendous album (2010's The Reluctant Graveyard) in which the songs were written from the perspective of the dead. His work brings to mind some of the kindest voices in modern pop — David Mead, Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard, Fountains of Wayne's Chris Collingwood — but it also finds room for surprising twists and strange turns.
As its title suggests, Heart Murmurs mostly traverses the terrain of love, but Messersmith scrutinizes it from as many angles as possible: The album traffics in thwarted desire ("It's Only Dancing"), stubborn devotion ("Tourniquet") and bad-boy self-flagellation ("Bridges") before 15 minutes have passed. Along the way, Messersmith tries on any number of perspectives — never more effectively than in the deceptively titled "I Want to Be Your One Night Stand." In a ballad worthy of Fountains of Wayne, another act with a gift for giving voice to stubborn strivers just trying to get by, Messersmith crafts a perfect two-minute ode to modest expectations.
But for the singer himself, that's where the modest expectations end: With its subtle strings and sly infectiousness, Heart Murmurs is no less than an attempt to craft a new batch of pop standards. Whether Messersmith succeeds depends mostly on how many people are lucky enough to hear him.
- Jeremy Messersmith signs to Glassnote Records
- Event Information: Jeremy Messersmith 'Heart Murmurs' Album release shows Feb. 21 and 22, 2014
- The Chart Show: #1 Messersmith inducted to the Hall of Fame Jeremy Messersmith AND Jake Bugg are inducted into our Chart Hall of Fame this week. Jeremy has added an extra show at First Avenue now, Feb. 21 and 22. Jake played there last week and stopped by to do a great acoustic session that we'll air on Tuesday, Jan 28 at 6 p.m.
- New Hot's 15 most anticipated albums of 2014 Now that the year-end lists have finally settled, it's time to build up anticipation for what's to come, so The Current's Music Director and New Hot host, David Safar, has put together a list of the most anticipated albums of 2014. Some records come from familiar artists with definite release dates, some have only have European or Australian releases and some may have been released in late 2013 but are just about to make their big splash in the new year.
- Top 89 songs of 2013 2013 was an incredible year for music. Each month saw a barrage of new singles and albums from a wide array of artists. We played the songs and you responded to each of them. Now, we're counting down the songs based on your votes in our annual Top 89 poll.
- Downloads and diatribes: Jeremy Messersmith and Christian Erickson on modern music fandom
comments powered by Disqus